For the Love of Basketball
- Keeping promises while facing challenges or the temptation of an easier path
- Seeing something through to the end and keeping the right attitude about it
- Honoring my responsibilities with diligence, even when it requires sacrifice
POST COMMITMENT TEAM COMMENTARY
He made one impressive shot just before the buzzer sounded and the crowd went wild after seeing someone finally complete the half-court feat. My 9 year old son made that shot early in his Little League basketball “career” and from that point forward he would only attempt shots from the half-court line. His coach would encourage and guide him to pass the ball, to make lay-ups, and to be a team player. However, when game day came all that coaching went in one ear and out the other. My son lacked the commitment to the team to be the best teammate he could be and ultimately a better ball player.
Commitment requires more involvement than one time half-court shots. It requires dedication and sacrifice. At Funds For Learning, we choose to pursue excellence in our work, and in our work environment—striving to provide superior customer service. It isn’t always easy being committed, but when we are committed to doing something (like playing basketball as a team, or seeking federal E-rate funding), the results can be pretty amazing.
I am happy to report today my son is committed to the success of the team as a whole and no longer attempts only the half court shots but passes the ball and even makes a few lay-ups.
Key Words and Phrases
Sticking with it; Faithfulness; Worthy of trust; Diligent and reliable; Dedication to a pledge; Dependable; Sacrifice to keep a promise; Taking ownership of a situation.
Not finishing the job; Undependable; Not worthy of trust; Wishy-washy.
GuideMarks – Distinguishing Characteristics of FFL E-rate Guides
Copyright © 2014 Funds For Learning, LLC. About the Funds For Learning GuideMarks.
- June 20, 2014 - Reliability
- June 27, 2014 - Proactive
- July 02, 2014 - Offer No Excuses
- July 11, 2014 - Teamwork
- July 18, 2014 - Thoroughness
- July 25, 2014 - Reinforce the Good
- August 01, 2014 - Your Best Work Forward
- August 08, 2014 - Timeliness
- August 13, 2014 - Focus
- August 21, 2014 - Professionalism
- August 27, 2014 – Solution Minded
- September 05, 2014 - Work by Design
- September 12, 2014 - Neatness Counts
- September 19, 2014 - Share the Reason
- September 26, 2014 - Understand the Reason
- October 03, 2014 - Intentional Learning
- October 10, 2014 - Calming Presence