When the Stakes Are High
Maintaining proper composure and perspective, even when the stakes are high
Offering a steady and consistent approach in the midst of stressful circumstances
Reducing the stress in others while staying collected, despite external agitation
Imagine that you are walking on a wooden beam. It is 20-feet long and 1-foot wide and it is suspended 1 foot off of the floor. It looks like this:
For most of us, walking across this beam would pose little or no challenge. If you asked me to do it, I am confident that I could. In fact, I would probably be interested in trying to up the challenge factor by setting a time requirement, doing it blindfolded, or walking across while hopping on one foot. Heck, maybe I would try to do all three at once! Either way, I think I could do it and I would not be too worried about walking the length of the beam. What if the circumstance changed and the same beam was now suspended 100 feet of the ground? Do you think I would be so cavalier about getting across the beam? Would you?
#####This week’s Funds For Learning GuideMark is called “Calming Presence”. It is about maintaining proper composure and perspective, especially when the stakes are high. When there is a lot on the line (such as a big funding application for a school district), it is so important that we perform our tasks well. It is critical that we focus on properly executing our responsibilities to the best of our abilities; and, while we can never lose sight of the fact that we may be 100-feet in the air, we need to perform with the confidence that we would if we were 1-foot off the ground.
Key Words and Phrases
Steady and collected; Not agitated or disturbed; Steadiness of mind under stress; Composed; Peaceful; Cause to be calm; Collected; Abate stress.
Agitation; Commotion; Disturb; Stir up.
Copyright © 2016 Funds For Learning, LLC. About the Funds For Learning GuideMarks.
- August 7, 2016 - Commitment
- August 14, 2016 - Reliability
- August 21, 2016 - Proactive
- August 28, 2016 - Offer No Excuses
- September 4, 2016 - Teamwork
- September 12, 2016 - Thoroughness
- September 19, 2016 - Reinforce the Good
- September 26, 2016 - Your Best Work Forward
- October 3, 2016 - Timeliness
- October 10, 2016 - Focus
- October 17, 2016 - Professionalism
- October 24, 2016 - Solution-Minded
- October 31, 2016 - Work By Design
- November 7, 2016 - Neatness Counts
- November 14, 2016 - Share the Reason
- November 21, 2016 - Understand the Reason
- November 28, 2016 - Intentional Learning