I am lightning!
- Maintaining proper composure and perspective, even when the stakes are high
- Offering a steady and consistent approach in the midst of stressful circumstances
- Reducing the stress in others while staying collected, despite external agitation
Think of the most calming person you know...There's a good chance they radiate a warm, friendly energy. Being a calming presence does not come easy for me. For me there is nothing better than when I am in a stressful situation or have had a long day than to be around a person who is calming. When you are with them, it's almost impossible not to feel more relaxed, as their chill vibe washes over you. Folks who have such a relaxing way about them seem a bit magical. By nature, I am not one of these magical presences. I must make an intentional choice not to be the frazzled person in the room.
This reminds me of a scene from one my son’s favorite movies when he was younger, that would play on a continuous loop in our minivan. Lightning McQueen, the main character, is giving himself a pep talk right before the start of a big race.
OK... Here we go. Focus.
Speed. I am speed.
One winner, 42 losers.
I eat losers for breakfast.
Wait, maybe I should have had breakfast.
A little breck-y could be good for me. No, no, no, stay focused. Speed.
I'm faster than fast. Quicker than quick.
I am lightning!
As I stand next to the office Keurig waiting for my cup of coffee or before I walk into that big meeting, I will give myself a Lightning McQueen pep talk. I will tell myself to maintain a proper composure and some perspective, even if there is much to do and little time to do it. I will remain calm, steady and consistent, so I can help reduce the stress of those who may be looking to me for that support. I will remain focused. I have this. I am a Calming Presence!
Each day I try and figure out how to take on a calmer energy for myself. By being encouraging to those around me, I have more clarity and perspective in my life and I am less likely to get easily triggered by other people's behavior or stressful situations. I am happier and when you're happier, you're more relaxed.
Key Words and Phrases
Steady and collected; Not agitated or disturbed; Steadiness of mind under stress; Composed; Peaceful; Cause to be calm; Collected; Abate stress.
Agitation; Commotion; Disturb; Stir up.
GuideMarks – Distinguishing Characteristics of FFL E-rate Guides
- December 21, 2018 - Commitment
- January 11, 2019 - Reliability
- January 18, 2019 - Proactive
- January 25, 2019 - Neatness Counts
- February 1, 2019 - Understand the Reason
- February 8, 2019 - Thoroughness
- February 15, 2019 - Reinforce the Good
- February 22, 2019 - Your Best Work Forward
- March 1, 2019 - Timeliness
- March 8, 2019 - Focus
- March 15, 2019 - Professionalism
- March 21, 2019 - Solution-Minded
- March 29, 2019 - Offer No Excuses
- April 5, 2019 - Work By Design
- April 12,2019 - Teamwork
- April 19, 2019 - Share the Reason
- April 26, 2019 - Intentional Learning