When the Stakes Are High
Maintaining proper composure and perspective, even when the stakes are high
Offering a steady and consistent approach in the midst of stressful circumstances
Reducing the stress in others while staying collected, despite external agitation
For most of us, walking across this beam would pose little or no challenge. If you asked me to do it, I am confident that I could. In fact, I would probably be interested in trying to up the challenge factor by setting a time requirement, doing it blindfolded, or walking across while hopping on one foot. Heck, maybe I would try to do all three at once! Either way, I think I could do it and I would not be too worried about walking the length of the beam. What if the circumstance changed and the same beam was now suspended 100 feet of the ground? Do you think I would be so cavalier about getting across the beam? Would you?
#####This week’s Funds For Learning GuideMark is called “Calming Presence”. It is about maintaining proper composure and perspective, especially when the stakes are high. When there is a lot on the line (such as a big funding application for a school district), it is so important that we perform our tasks well. It is critical that we focus on properly executing our responsibilities to the best of our abilities; and, while we can never lose sight of the fact that we may be 100-feet in the air, we need to perform with the confidence that we would if we were 1-foot off the ground.
Key Words and Phrases
Steady and collected; Not agitated or disturbed; Steadiness of mind under stress; Composed; Peaceful; Cause to be calm; Collected; Abate stress.
Agitation; Commotion; Disturb; Stir up.
Copyright © 2020 Funds For Learning, LLC. About the Funds For Learning GuideMarks.
- September 20, 2019 - Commitment
- September 27, 2019 - Reliability
- October 4, 2019 - Proactive
- October 11,2019 - Neatness Counts
- October 18, 2019 - Understand the Reason
- November 1, 2019 - Your Best Work Forward
- November 8, 2019 - Reinforce the Good
- November 15, 2019 - Timeliness
- November 22, 2019 - Focus
- December 6, 2019 - Professionalism
- December 13, 2019 - Solution-Minded
- December 20, 2019 - Work By Design
- January 10, 2020 - Teamwork
- January 17, 2020 - Share the Reason
- January 24, 2020 - Offer No Excuses
- January 31 - Intentional Learning