- Acknowledging my shortcomings and taking ownership in results, not blaming others
- Accepting my responsibility to clients and colleagues and admitting my role in situation
- Seeking accountability, focusing on self-improvement, and providing solutions
Excuses lead to unintended circumstances.
Here is a list of things I have made excuses about:
- Why I haven’t folded the laundry
- Why I didn’t have time to walk my dog (for two weeks straight when I worked from home)
- Why I didn’t exercise
- Why I didn’t speak up for causes and movements I “support”
- The laundry did not get folded
- My dog did not get walked
- I did not get exercise
- My “support” of important movements had no effect
Here is a list of things that happened when I stopped making excuses and took accountability:
- The laundry got folded
- My dog got walked
- I got exercise
- My silent “support” turned into real support and impacted people around me
These are some of my personal examples which depict the reason “Offer No Excuses” is an important GuideMark in the work we do everyday at FFL. It goes without saying that everyone makes mistakes, so when we are empowered to accept responsibility for our shortcomings, we gain the initiative to provide the best possible solution. At FFL our work shows results and progress, which is a direct tie to the conscious effort we put in to “Offering No Excuses”.
Key Words and Phrases
Take ownership in outcomes, Agree to responsibility, Accept accountability, Provide solutions, Recognize failures, Acknowledge shortcomings, Focus on results not excuses, Admit mistakes.
Rationalize inferior work, Deny or justify a fault, Offer a pretext for failure, Provide self-justification.
GuideMarks – Distinguishing Characteristics of FFL E-rate Guides
Copyright © 2020 Funds For Learning, LLC. About the Funds For Learning GuideMarks.
- January 31, 2020 - Intentional Learning
- February 7, 2020 - Calming Presence
- February 14, 2020 - Commitment
- February 21, 2020 - Reliability
- February 28, 2020 - Proactive
- March 6, 2020 - Neatness Counts
- March 13, 2020 - Understand the Reason
- March 20, 2020 - Thoroughness
- March 27, 2020 - Reinforce the Good
- April 3, 2020 - Your Best Work Forward
- April 10, 2020 - Timeliness
- April 17, 2020 - Focus
- April 24, 2020 - Professionalism
- May 1, 2020 - Solution-Minded
- May 8, 2020 - Work By Design
- May 15, 2020 - Teamwork
- May 22, 2020 - Share the Reason