A Tale of Two Plumbers
- Treating others with respect and courtesy, being honest and responsible at all times
- Adhering to high standards of integrity and ethics without wavering
- Dressing, communicating, and conducting myself in a manner appropriate to the setting
No, I’m not talking about Mario and Luigi.
But not every company does, and I’d like to highlight that by recalling two very different experiences I recently had with two different plumbers who were recently doing repairs in my house:
Bob’s Plumbing Service
When I called Bob to fix my toilet, they were the only one who could come out that day. Great! But when the time came:
- The dispatcher promised that Bob would call 15-20 minutes prior to arriving. Instead, Bob arrived without any notice.
- Bob’s pants and shoes were a filthy, and he reeked of cigarettes. He did not obviously smell.
- When he finished working, the bathroom looked like bomb had gone off. There was debris and trash everywhere, and we spent a few hours cleaning up after he left.
Bob wasn’t available when we had another plumbing problem, so I tried John’s Plumbing Service instead. The difference was night and day:
- I was given an estimated time when John would arrive. After he finished the job before mine, he gave me a call to let me know he was on his way.
- John put on a new pair of booties to cover his shoes while he walked through our house.
- After he finished his work, he cleaned up the mess that was created during the repair process.
Key Words and Phrases
Exhibiting courteous behavior; Conscientious manners; Technical prowess; Expert; Ethical standards; Trained; Experienced; Authority.
Amateur; Inexperienced; Dabbler; Non-expert.
Copyright © 2020 Funds For Learning, LLC. About the Funds For Learning GuideMarks.
- May 1, 2020 - Solution-Minded
- May 8, 2020 - Work By Design
- May 15, 2020 - Teamwork
- May 22, 2020 - Share the Reason
- June 5, 2020 - Offer No Excuses
- June 12, 2020 - Intentional Learning
- June 19, 2020 - Calming Presence
- June 26, 2020 - Commitment
- July 10, 2020 - Reliability
- July 17, 2020 - Proactive
- July 24, 2020 - Neatness Counts
- July 31, 2020 - Understand the Reason
- August 7, 2020 - Thoroughness
- August 14, 2020 - Reinforce the Good
- August 21, 2020 - Your Best Work Forward
- August 28, 2020 - Timeliness