Summary of FCC Hurricane Orders
Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria caused widespread and catastrophic damage, destroying and damaging several schools and libraries in Gulf Coast, Eastern Seaboard, and Caribbean. In an effort to assist E-rate applicants impacted by the storms, the FCC released a series of Orders extending deadlines and setting dates for a second Funding Year 2017 application window. Some of the relief outlined in the Orders include:
- Waiving certain E-rate deadlines for applicants in affected disaster areas were granted an additional 150 days from the date of the First Hurricane Order (October 6, 2017). Some extended deadlines include: Forms 472, 474, and 486, service delivery, and requests for review or waiver
- Creating a second Funding Year 2017 application window for applicants located in hurricane impacted areas. The new window will be open November 13 through December 13
- Waiving the typical 28-day requirement for the Form 470 during the second application window. Applicants will have a 14-day bidding requirement
- Allowing indirectly impacted schools that has had a 5 percent or more increase in enrollment because of displaced students may submit of a supplementary Funding Year 2017 Form 471 during the second application window to cover increased costs from increased student populations
- Resetting any prior Category 2 budget expenditures for applicants in the affected areas
- Granting applicants in the impacted areas the highest C2 discount, regardless of their actual E-rate discount i.e. 90 percent for Category 1 and 85 percent for Category 2.
A full summary of the Orders can be found here.
More Hurricane related news and commentary:
Hurricanes Impact Millions of Students – November 3, 2017
Second FY2017 Application Window – October 30, 2017
FCC Planning Another Hurricane Relief – October 26, 2017
Further Hurricane Regulatory Relief – October 11, 2017
Relief to Hurricane Affected Applicants – September 15, 2017
Help for Harvey Impacted Schools – August 31, 2017