The SLD provided further details today how Katrina affected schools and libraries should apply for those special E-rate dollars. Applicants affected by Hurricane Katrina are eligible to participate in a special application window that will provide additional funds to certain schools and libraries through the end of Funding Year 2005. The special Form 471 deadline submission is December 13, 2005.
Directly affected applicants can:
- Submit a new application (if necessary) to restore their networks to pre-Katrina functionality
- Request an increase to a 90% discount level on an existing FY2005 application (approved or pending) for directly affected entities
- Submit a new application that includes an increase to a 90% discount level for directly affected entities
- Apply for service substitutions across categories of services on an existing FY2005 application (approved or pending)
- Request a waiver of the Two out of Five rule for FY2005
- Reduce or cancel a funding commitment for schools and libraries too severely damaged to receive services in FY2005.
Indirectly affected applicants can:
- Submit a new application (if necessary) to request additional products and/or services to serve the increased number of students or library patrons.
The SLD is encouraging E-rate affected applicants to review their technology plans to ensure that it supports and validates the services that are needed. It may be necessary to revise the plan or possibly even have it re-approved by the state if substantial revisions are necessary.