On April 24th the USAC SL Committee held its quarterly board meeting. It was reported that the FCC approved the SLD funding priority two requests at the 86% discount rate and above. The April 27th wave will reflect this.
Mel Blackwell has now been the Acting Vice President of the School and Libraries Division for 9 months, and stated that he was pleased with the progress of many of his initiatives. He told the Committee:
- The new PIN system was a "huge hit".
- Last year 100 applicants used the online Item 21 submission system. This year 14,500 applicants used the system.
- There is more outreach and training sessions than ever before.
- Over $7 million special Katrina commitments have been issued.
- There are over 21,000 E-rate stakeholders receiving the weekly E-rate News Brief.
- The invoicing process is getting quicker.
KPMG was initially hired in August 2004 to conduct 100 beneficiary audits. To date:
- 21 are final
- 33 are in their final draft
- 34 are in their initial draft
- 12 are in the post field work stage
USAC will continue to spend resources auditing program beneficiaries to ensure compliance with program rules.